POSTPONED - They have not yet moved in. The finishing touches are taking longer than expected.....
I would like to thank you for your interest in supporting how RSL(WA) can better engage with contemporary veterans.
A key outcome from the initial consultation on the 5th of August was a commitment for a follow up 6 weeks later, allowing two board meetings and the move into the new facility to occur. I would like to propose the second consultation
Date: 23 September, Wednesday
Timings: Tour 1630 - 1700
Consultation 1700 - 1800
Location: 28 St Georges Terrace, ANZAC Club
I would be very appreciative if each of you could please pass this invitation onto other veterans you know are in the community. The more people involved in this process the better outcome we will collectively achieve.
A summary of the first consultation was provided to the Board on the 6th of August and was warmly accepted. This summary included key outcomes of ‘what is a contemporary veteran?’ and the proposal for a RSL(WA) Family Day event at Kings Park.
Summary of points discussed:
1. Is it important to be a member or not? Can non member veterans access services?
2. There is a significant gap in awareness of what RSL(WA) does
3. There are 3 cohorts that RSL(WA) needs to consider to better engage contemporary veterans, those without children, those with children still living at home and ‘empty nester’ veterans.
4. Communication should always be improved.
5. The 2 areas that RSL(WA) should focus on are camaraderie (inclusive of family's) and service delivery
6. Corporate partnerships are an opportunity to better engage with veterans.
7. Better engagement with the current full time and reserve ADF units in WA.
8. A family day for all veterans, Kings Park, with food, activities for kids and possibly some sporting identities
9. A simple find your RSL tool
10. Identifying a different way to commemorate conflicts and periods of service
11. 13 Brigade involvement in support displays and engagement with various associations
12. A follow-up consultation in 6 weeks
13. Going to an RSL sometimes feels like ‘going to another units boozer’.
Where to from here?
I would like the second consultation to focus on answering ‘How does RSL(WA) better engage with contemporary veterans?’. I am very interested in being able to propose actionable initiatives that can engage the three identified cohorts.
Thank you again for your interest and support. Collectively I am confident we can make a real difference in WA.